Director of Food & Beverage
As the Director of Food & Beverage you would lead the team at The Hard Rock Hotel San Diego. The area of Food & Beverage encompasses, banquet and catering, In Room Dining, mini bar, stewarding ,the culinary department, Mary Jane’s Restaurant and supporting additional support to the Hard Rock Bars operations. The Director of Food and Beverage is responsible for directing and organizing the activities of the Food and Beverage Department to ensure a consistently high-quality food product while at the same time developing his/her team and driving a positive work environment. In addition, this position is charged with consistently improving guest and employee satisfaction and maximizing revenues. Exempt associates are expected to work as much of each workday as is necessary to complete their job responsibilities.
Salary range: $110,000 - $125,000 base with an incentivized bonus opportunity, based off of related skills and experience.
Summary of essential job functions
- Planning and directing the functions of administration and planning of the Food and Beverage Department to meet the daily needs of the operation
- Describing, assigning and delegating responsibility and authority for the operation of the various food and beverage sub-departments (i.e., room service, mini bar, restaurants, banquet, catering, kitchen, stewards, etc.)
- Developing, implementing and monitoring schedules for the operation of all restaurants, bars and Banquets and Catering to achieve a profitable result
- Participating with the Executive Chef in the creation of attractive and merchandising menus designed to attract a predetermined customer market
- Implementing effective control of food, beverage, and labor costs among all sub-departments
- Assisting in establishing and achieving profit objectives and the desired standards of quality food, service, cleanliness, merchandising and promotion
- Reviewing and evaluating the degree of customer acceptance of the individual restaurants and banquet service and catering; recommending new operating and marketing policies whenever declining or constant sales imply dissatisfaction by the customers, a material change in the make-up or the customer market, or a change in the competitive environment
- Inventory and control of all operating equipment (including china, glass, silverware)
- Maintaining effective communication, giving direction, training & development of staff, support, timely feedback and recognition of performance
- Creating a positive environment in which all employees have the ability to maximize their potential
- Responsible for ensuring the cleanliness, sanitization and safety in the kitchens, service stations, FOH, BOH work and storage areas while minimizing waste and maximizing cost/production ratio.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with employees, guests, local community members, and vendors
- A minimum of 3- 5 years of experience as a Director of Food and Beverage at a property of similar size and quality
- Must be proficient in Windows operating systems, company approved spreadsheets and word processing.
- Extensive experience in restaurant bar, banquet, catering, in room dining, and kitchen management required
- Knowledge and experience with forecasting, budgeting, labor management, and purchasing to ensure maximum productivity
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control
- Must possess strong communication and listening skills, excellent speaking, reading and writing skills, computer skills and basic technological acumen
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary.
- Must be knowledgeable and aware of local competition and industry trends.
- Ability to obtain any governmental required licenses or certificates (for example, Serve Safe certification or any other Food Handler’s permit required in the state, county, and/or city where employed)
- Multiple language abilities preferred. Fluency in English required and Spanish desired
Skills / Ability to:
- Communicate clearly and directly with guests and staff using a positive, clear speaking voice
- Work and interact well with departments throughout the organization
- Ability to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
- Effectively deal with internal and external customers and staff, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Handle stressful situations in a calm, professional manner
- Participate in the creation of an enjoyable work environment